Friday, October 5, 2012

Free Friday

My husband is playing this song in the other room. I am waiting for my tea to brew. It is a Free Friday and I finally feel like I can relax. Our teaching loads are much easier this year than they were last year; I am only teaching five classes instead of what really amounted to seven. It's still a bit too much, though, from what I hear about teaching at normal schools, but we've never experienced that so this year seems like a breeze to us. Nonetheless, two days is never a long enough weekend to be properly slothful AND productive. I like to have enough time to catch up on sleep but also to feel like my own person-- an artist as well as an art teacher, a Latin scholar as well as a Latin taskmaster, a reader of books not required for high school students, a friend who mails birthday presents on time, a dutiful daughter/granddaughter/daughter-in-law/sister/sister-in-law who calls and writes, a housewife, an informed citizen, etc. And a Free Friday makes me feel almost as if I could do all these things (most of them tomorrow,) as well as write in a blog.

Those poor students are all rain-camping this weekend, while the teachers who cancelled school due to lack of students are going to Vietnamese restaurants and drinking wine and reading Rousseau in their pajamas at home. Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment