Sunday, March 23, 2014

From a book of George MacDonald quotes, extracted and titled by C.S Lewis: 

Easy to please and hard to Satisfy
That no keeping but a perfect one will satisfy God, I hold with all my heart and strength; but that there is none else He cares for, is one of the lies of the enemy. What father is not pleased with the first tottering attempt of his little one to walk? What father would be pleased with anything but the manly step of the full-grown son?
I thought of this quote recently while reflecting on the proper bearing one should have towards children (thinking specifically of the young wags in my charge.) I have often confused pleasure in my students' progress or personality with satisfaction in their work and character, and it has led me to be too harsh at times and too soft at other times. And of course, when one considers one's own growth towards holiness and wholeness, this confusion between satisfying and pleasing God can lead to despair that one will never make it or pride that one has already reached the destination.

 It's a good distinction to remember during Lent: the standard is impossibly high (because it is embodied by Christ himself,) but the Father smiles and refreshes us at the end of every effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment