Sunday, March 20, 2011

problem: cake is too tasty.

Wow, I was not trying to make a decadent cake. I probably shouldn't have tried to make a cake at all, seeing as how it's Lent and all, but it's chocolate time of the month, and I really, really wanted a treat. So I broke down and looked up some vegan cake recipes. I chose one from vegetarian.about.com which seemed simple, and didn't have any weird fake ingredients, not even tofu. Also, I'm bad with cakes, so I figured it would be crappy and I could just scarf some choccy and move on. Alas, my husband pronounced it "superb." In fact, this cake ended up looking like the pile of glistening chocolate that the Trunchbull shoves down Bruce Bogtrotter's throat. Oops. Maybe it was the rum.

Vegan Mexican Chocolate Cake with Really Good Chocolate Rum Glaze

DRY INGREDIENTS.
1.5 C flour
1 C sugar
.25 C cocoa
1.5 C cinnamon
1 tsp baking SODA
.75 tsp cayenne (I used chili powder)

WET INGREDIENTS.
1 tsp vanilla (I forgot this because the next two ingredients start with V as well)
5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 C cold water
optional: a healthy slug of RUM

Dump the dry stuff together and whisk well. Dump the wet stuff together and whisk well. Dump them all together and whisk well. Dump in a greased 9" pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (I did 32.)

WHILE BAKING.
Okay, this was supposed to be frosting. I didn't have powdered sugar, so I used regular stuff and soon realized that it would behoove me to call it a glaze.

Melt 2 tbsp vegetable spread and 3 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder over low heat. Add .25 cup of hot water, 2 cups of sugar, and as much rum as you want. Cook it until it's as un-boozy as you wish. At the end, add a fat splash of vanilla (to make up for the vanilla that you omitted from the cake).

WHEN THE CAKE IS DONE.
Poke lots of holes in the top of the cake and pour in your glaze slowly as the cake absorbs it. Maybe let it sit a bit, come back and pour in some more. Let it cool a bit before you eat it so that the glaze gets a little crusty on top.

Unfortunately, this would be incredible over ice cream.

1 comment: