Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lent-ILL soup

I'm waiting for my mom to come home with peppers and cilantro so that I can make chutney for this incredible soup (with the first sprigs of mint from underneath the kitchen window!). 2 med onions, finely chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced sautee until soft as you like, 5-10 minutes and then add: 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or 3 Tbsp fresh) 1/2 tsp cayenne (I used paprika) 2 tsp turmeric a dash of ground coriander reduce heat and fry for a few minutes. then add: 3 cans of veggie stock (6 cups) 1 bag of green lentils, soaked overnight simmer 20-30 minutes until tender. separately, fry over medium heat: 1/2 tsp ground cardamom 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg cracked black peppa to taste! add above stuff to soup, stir and add: 1 can of coconut milk simmer 15 minutes or so until everything is as smushy and friendly as you like. I've only had a couple bites of it so far, and let me tell you, it should not be this good. Soon enough I'll make the Vegetarian Epicure's Green Chile-Mint Chutney, which is pretty explosive. Wish I had thought ahead to make naan. Brown rice is a-cookin', and the microwave is parturient with acorn squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment